Shades of Passion

Here's an insight into the mind of a person who's in love with Music, Art and Science.......:)

Thursday, October 05, 2006

Sherlocky style!

If the title is anything to go by, then yes, you heard it right! I did play a little of Sherlock Holmes myself on my way back from Hyderabad. And the idea spawned from the book I was reading. The great Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's Adventures of Sherlock Holmes Vol I.

I had nothing to do and the companions in my compartment weren't in the least bit interesting. So, I picked up the book on Sherlock Holmes' adventures and started reading it. One of the things Holmes insists upon a great deal is: OBSERVATION. How simple things lead to unraveling things about people. So, I decided to apply simple logic to things and trying to see if it really worked! And the first person I applied it to was: (lo and behold) ME myself!!!!!! :D

Now, you'd say why me? Well, the answer is simple. I know myself and check if the logic applied holds good or not! So, here's how I went........I decided to start with the most obvious things about me.

There was no sun in the train and still there I sat with a cap on. Which meant, I was trying to keep my hair tucked in. And that meant, I was not used to the hairstyle I had. A fact that's true. I am not used to this hairstyle yet. This meant that I acquired it lately and also, I must have
had longer hair earlier.......facts that were completely true! And trust me, I marveled at myself for having applied this bit of logic (I know I know it sounds rather silly, but it's logic nevertheless)......

Then, came my luggage. Nothing out of ordinary. A bag and a carry bag loaded with food stuff (thanks to my cousin whom I had gone to visit). Unlike many women in trains, my luggage was rather limited. So, I am supposed to be not very feminine in that way (a fact that I grudgingly admit to). Since I had a bag of eatables and wasn't really eating anything off it, I didn't buy all that so, it must be given by someone. And who else but a very close friend or family person would buy me a BIG bag of eateries? So, I was either on my way or was on my way back from a
personal visit. But since there was little luggage, the visit was going to be or was rather short (a true fact, I had less than 24 hours to visit my cousin).

Now, since I spent most of my time reading (or sleeping), I was a person who was into academics (not all books I read were Sherlock Holmes books :D)............

When the food came, I ate the food with militarian cleanliness and wrapped the aluminium foil so neatly that it spoke of Militarian upbringing (I'm not boasting about this!!!! My father DOES insist on clean eating).....

Satisfied with my logical deductions about my behaviour and things like that, I decided to analyze the people near me. There were five of them. But one person caught my attention. He was trying to read a book but was reading much less than yawning over it!!!! He had trimly cut hair (a tell-tale sign of Army persons)......well well, some KNOWLEDGE also goes into deduction! Remember, Sherlock Holmes has loads of knowledge to his credit...........

But his feet were rather smooth for a regular army personnel. So, he had to be in the non-field services. And moments later, my deductinos were confirmed when he took out a joural on ASC (Armed Services Corps) and tried to read it. It looked like a report that he wasn't interested in.
Since he showed little inclination towards reading it and was rather reluctant to sit in one place, I guessed that he must've finished training not very much earlier.

And I felt glad when while asking about when the Bangalore station would arrive, he did tell me that he'd finished training only less than an year ago.

Well, I was so delighted at my observation skills and their success that I decided to tell my dearest friend all about them! And guess what I got a reply as: Oh my God!!!! How useful these deductions were (with appropriate doses of sarcasm pooled in)!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

So much so for playing detective!!!!!!!!

1 Comments:

  • At Saturday, October 07, 2006 8:58:00 AM, Blogger sathya said…

    Ever heard of people complaining that they've stopped learning? I have - they've actually stopped observing and take things for granted.

    These might not always be useful and in many cases its rather much simpler to ask, but its got its uses too!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home