Shades of Passion

Here's an insight into the mind of a person who's in love with Music, Art and Science.......:)

Thursday, May 04, 2006

Resources? Or the lack of it?

The idea for this blog appeared to me while I was watching the practice of "Keys to Imagination" (yes, Yanni's composition) that is to be performed by our Institute Music Team on 13th May...........and since then, I've been waiting to write something about that!

When you want to do something, there are certain bottlenecks you come across! Resources being one! And the resources do determine to a good extent how and when you do such things. There are examples of people having made it really big by being resourceful. So, why does this blog feature? In reality, this blog is MY appreciation of the good work churned out by the Music Team despite the lack of proper resources in the institute Music Room!

When I sat through the practice day before, I saw the composition of Yanni being played very well. There were errors, but the way the composition was being handled was BEAUTIFUL. I have been a member of the Music Team right from its genesis days. And back then, the resources were rather awful. A broken sitar, somewhat dilapidated veena, rusted and unused drums, stringless guitars................and then came the magic touch of people in that room! Working together, people brought the Music Room to where it is today. I won't say resources are phenomenally better than earlier but then, despite several limitations, the kind of Music being played is simply superb.

There are times when people have brought their own instruments to play in the Music Room and somehow, putting things together to perform amazingly well..........there have been times when we haven't had either players or instruments for a particular song and that's when the creativity of the Music Team members has shown! Flute has been replaced by guitar, keyboard by violin and such innovative stuff.....

So, that set me thinking about how important resources (or rather lack of them) is???????

I think in the presence of all the required resources, one tends not to let one's imagination soar. As once my friend told me about a talk, Necessity is not the mother of invention, it's the mother of INNOVATION.........so when you don't have the requisite resources, you tend to somehow try to manage without them! That's when you start evaluating what you may have otherwise overlooked as a potential resource!

I have seen many many instances of this happening! From simple things like Mom cooking something at a short notice without one of those important ingredients to my Musician friends substituting an important instrument by some other one and still managing the song beautifully!!!!!! And even instances of people being really poor and still rising up to the level of high education despite all the lack of resources! There are innumerable examples of lack of resources leading to some very interesting results of heightened creativity and innovation.......

I guess, that's all I have to say about that! (Forrest Gump style, one of my all time favourite movies)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

Pritesh

5 Comments:

  • At Thursday, May 04, 2006 10:46:00 AM, Blogger Karthik said…

    Really good choice of topic and well written too! I especially liked "i think in the presence of all the required resources, one tends not to let one's imagination soar". very true...

     
  • At Thursday, May 04, 2006 10:48:00 AM, Blogger Pritesh said…

    I have experienced it karthik and seen people do it too! It is very true and a firm belief of mine........

     
  • At Thursday, May 04, 2006 5:43:00 PM, Blogger unforgiven said…

    Necessity is the mother of invention, that is true. Innovation needs a spur, which necessity can bring about but too much of a lack of resources can totally spurn its progress.

    For example, I am filing for a patent through IBM. Necessity brought up the idea and everything is clear on what needed innovation. Unfortunately, to actually 'solve' the problem, I needed two extra machines, which IBM, well, in its great Government of IBM way, decided it could not provide unless I had a project requirement. I don't have the resources to buy two high end machines. Finally, I had to beg borrow steal machines from other team members to actually finish finding the solution. That last part, was not innovation and if in case I hadn't been able to do that, the original innovation would have been lost.

     
  • At Saturday, May 06, 2006 12:25:00 AM, Blogger Pritesh said…

    Oh! I'm sorry for that Rahul! Indeed, extreme of lack of resources can lead to a suppression of innovation........

     
  • At Saturday, May 06, 2006 9:35:00 AM, Blogger unforgiven said…

    Its alright. I forgive you :P

     

Post a Comment

<< Home