Shades of Passion

Here's an insight into the mind of a person who's in love with Music, Art and Science.......:)

Friday, April 21, 2006

Cheer-up Factors????

What do you do when you feel down???? What do "I" do???? Let me see. Maybe, I can divide my "down" times into some categories, professional and personal......

So, when things don't work on the professional front, I tend to just go for a coffee with labmates. Or maybe, sit with my department friends, crib about things not working. And that makes me feel better immediately. I guess it's about letting it our of your system. IISc being extremely flexible in terms of work timings, I think we have room for such chit-chats where we can share professional frustrations with each other. And that is a very good vent for me. After having cribbed and being joined in it by others, I get this all new perspective of what I CAN do in my work! The lapse between getting frustrated and feeling recharged depends on how soon I can get into this chat! And more often than not, my favourite colleague, Girish, is the one I catch! The diplomatic yet optimistic outlook makes me see things in a new light and I stop being a cribber and start being a worker......

But on a personal front, when the things don't seem to be going too well, it's difficult to find a formula to feel better! It varies between writing it up in a mail to myself to making an Art-piece!

At times, talking to friends helps. But one thing that always makes me feel good is WRITING it up! Sometimes, to myself, sometimes to someone else! Mostly to myself. Again, it's about letting it out of my system! Once it is out, I begin to look at things in a different way and then, life becomes easy! I begin to think better...........

So, what's YOUR cheer-up factor??????

7 Comments:

  • At Saturday, April 22, 2006 2:40:00 AM, Blogger Karthik said…

    ya, the idea is to find an outlet.
    i start each day by reading an inspirational quote; start the day feeling good. and playing my synth relaxes me in no time..

     
  • At Saturday, April 22, 2006 6:44:00 AM, Blogger unforgiven said…

    Write, play guitar
    Not necessarily at the same time though.

     
  • At Tuesday, April 25, 2006 12:09:00 AM, Blogger Sujit Kumar Chakrabarti said…

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

     
  • At Tuesday, April 25, 2006 12:10:00 AM, Blogger Sujit Kumar Chakrabarti said…

    Feeling down has come a long way for me over time. Five years ago, I would feel down for very different reasons in quite a different way than it happens now. Earlier it used to be frequent, sharp, come-n-go type. Now, it's rare, slow and persistent.

    Earlier I would get depressed about the paucity of all the things I used to look at as achievements -- career, (not) having a girlfriend, (not ) being known for my versatality or technical calibre. It used to hit me hard when it came. And I would be writhing in pain.

    Now, it almost never happens to me. Tragedies of underachievements have continued unabated. But somehow I have learnt to take them in my stride (or you can say, I have learned to reconcile with my mediocrity). But occasionally, I become extremely pensive wondering if I am giving my full to life. Am I trying hard enough to make it worth what it potentially is? Am I growning wiser? This isn't a splitting pain. But tends to become chronic and eats at the foundations.

    Earlier, as far as I remember, pains of depression used to be so sharp, I really don't remember if anything had ever worked. I would get busy in something. Time would pass. They would go.

    These days, it's most of the times, a matter of getting back to work. It's harder now, but it definitely seems to work. The very moment, I realise that I am able to concentrate on something, however mundane, I can say that I am OK.

    So, whenever, I realise that my mind is feeling sore and dissipated with pent up energies, I start feverishly looking for legitimate ways of spending it. Mostly work. Else, writing, having an intense conversation, drawing, cooking ... anything may work. Anything that I do to relieve the pain of depression that has a flavour of running away from the problem leaves me feeling even worse. Mostly, I take the cause of depression headon, by its horns, as they say. It works.

    Thankfully, I have not felt depressed about romantic things (no GFs, she ditched me, she never loved me! What an ass I was! kind of feelings) for a long time. They are aweful. No good way to handle them. Only time heals those wounds.

     
  • At Tuesday, April 25, 2006 12:31:00 AM, Blogger Pritesh said…

    "Earlier it used to be frequent, sharp, come-n-go type. Now, it's rare, slow and persistent."

    Don't know if the pain earlier was better or now? As in, I generally prefer a sharp, come-n-go type of pain! For that moment, it's difficult but I am not in favour of that slow, gnawing pain! :(

     
  • At Tuesday, April 25, 2006 2:54:00 AM, Blogger Sujit Kumar Chakrabarti said…

    Part of growing up (old) I guess.
    As we learn solving smaller problems, it's our tendency to go for the more difficult ones. Earlier, depression was that pickpocket who bumps into you in the street. Takes away your wallet at the most. But does it too often. Now depression is like that friend who sits in your house like a parasite and targets your back accounts. More dangerous. But much rarer. Tradeoffs!

     
  • At Wednesday, April 26, 2006 6:55:00 AM, Blogger fuse me said…

    Hmm cheer-up..... I guess the best way is to do something you often do well....

     

Post a Comment

<< Home