Shades of Passion

Here's an insight into the mind of a person who's in love with Music, Art and Science.......:)

Saturday, March 18, 2006

Lost in translation

Hi!

I know I know! There's a movie named lost in Translation. But I haven't seen the movie and I don't have the faintest idea as to what this movie is about. My blog is about translation of IDEAS.

Recently, I got a water-colour pencils as a gift. And I want to make a painting using them.

Once I decided to make a painting, the all-important task was to find WHAT to paint! So far, I have made a lot of paintings, but most of the time, I saw something and tried to copy that. There have been times when I have painted things that "I" thought of. But they have mostly been in monochrome. This time, I decided to paint something multi-colour.

I have an idea in mind but getting it onto paper is a Herculean task. Many a times, we start off with a concept and start converting into some form of an Art, be it Music, painting or dance...........but as we progress, the concept keeps getting modified. And by the time we are through with what we were planning to make, the concept barely resembles the one we started off with. This LOSS IN TRANSLATION can be due to many reasons.....

In my case, the loss generally takes place because of a ROUGH draft to start with! If only I had a rather consolidated in my mind, I wouldn't suffer from so much of a loss. Sometimes, we come up with newer ideas as we progress, hence, the loss.

So, is this good or bad? I mean, the LOSS, per se.

My answer is YES. Primarily because I don't start off with what exactly I am looking for. So, obviously, I don't REGRET the loss and whatever happens eventually is good for me.

Well, frankly, I didn't have anything to write about and this was the only idea in my mind, so, I started writing about this! I don't know how much I have lost in translation of the idea of this blog too! :D

Pritz

7 Comments:

  • At Saturday, March 18, 2006 11:30:00 AM, Blogger Sujit Kumar Chakrabarti said…

    Hello Pritesh,
    Why do you always write blogs which I want to write?! ;)

    You might like to read my blog on communication which talks about communications being the expression of abstract thoughts and ideas in the limited framework of language. There's another blog which write about Art and Science, both being similar in that they are expressing beauty: art does it by expressing beauty that can be felt within the limits of the five sense; science does it for satisfying a sixth sense -- curiosity. The immense joy that these two activities generate is principly due to the fact that give us the realisation that the beauty created through them actually lay within ourselves.

    That's why composing a song and singing it infinitely more ecstatic than singing a song someone else has written and composed , in a style that somebody else has sung in. It's infinitely more satiating to create a picture that describes a scene that has popped up within our mind, than merely copying dot by dot something that someone else has already done. It's far more joyous to research than to parrot away a cliched piece of science for years.

    No! I don't agree with you that that loss in translation is in anyway good. All the practice, hardwork and sleepless nights are invested in finding out that beautiful painting that is already drawn within us. Perhaps, it's covered with dust and cobwebs. But these years of practice and drudgery that goes in developing our senses about shapes, tones, colours and their interplay, drop by drop, bit by tiny bit is driven with the hope that painting lies there, buried somewhere in that mess that my mind is. The day I find it, it will be million times worth all the trouble.

    No! Please don't try to extract joy out of something coming out something different from what's there inside, unless of course, it helps in some new self-discovery. Try hard, harder...to discover that painting that lies already drawn inside your mind. Your physically drawing it should develop into yet another act of copying -- copying from within!

     
  • At Sunday, March 19, 2006 7:50:00 AM, Blogger Karthik said…

    beautifully expressed Sujit. fully agree with you.

     
  • At Sunday, March 19, 2006 8:00:00 AM, Blogger Karthik said…

    an occasional concept modification is fine, but definitely wouldn't want it to happen frequently.Maybe the new ideas can be used in a new piece of work.I would want to stay true to my initial concept.

     
  • At Sunday, March 19, 2006 10:48:00 PM, Blogger Pritesh said…

    Hi! Sujju and Karthik,

    I have almost never been able to translate ideas as it is to paper! I know that I need to work on it so that I can retain the beauty of what I'd imagined when I translate it to a painting!

     
  • At Monday, March 20, 2006 2:31:00 AM, Blogger Sujit Kumar Chakrabarti said…

    I think you know the answer to that: PRACTICE PRACTICE and more PRACTICE! :)

     
  • At Thursday, March 23, 2006 9:44:00 PM, Blogger Ajit said…

    In signal processing terms, this phenomenon is called aliasing

     
  • At Sunday, March 26, 2006 9:19:00 PM, Blogger Pritesh said…

    Now, ALIASING sounds like an interesting term Ajit....

     

Post a Comment

<< Home